Re: Removing Engine Sludge

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Removing Engine Sludge
From: Roger Korn <rkorn@europa.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 06:30:24 -0700

Hamish Hubbard (and Ode) wrote:

> GDonati@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any tool or fluid or technique they can recommend for
> > removing sludge and varnish from inside of an engine without disassembling
>it
> > completely?  The engine (' 88 Ford 302)  runs very well otherwise, just
>noisey
> > lifters and crud on the bottom of the oil pan.  My understanding is that
> > flushing fluids will "pick up" the sludge and plug the pump screen and other
> > orifices.    Any ideas?
> > Thanks,
> > Greg Donati
>
> The sludge is really only in the bottom of the sump, not the
> rest of the engine, though there may be other buildups in the
> rest of the engine of crud depending on age, the sludge in the sump
> could be considered to be normal buildup not indicative of sludge
> throughout the engine (IMHO). As with all engine consumables, avoid
> the ones that claim they will increase power output and you are
> likely to be OK, if you do wish to flush the engine.
>
> Hamish
>
> --
> Mini Cooper Web: http://www.mini.org/minirestoration/CooperWeb.html
> Mini FAQ: http://www.mini.org/minirestoration/Technical/TechFAQ.html

I'd suggest pulling and cleaning the oil pan, replacing the pan gasket and
reassembling, then flush with 75% oil and 25% kerosene. Just enough revs to get
oil
pressure. Run about 15 minutes and drain. Replace filter, refill with oil, drive
about 500 miles (800 km), then change filter and oil again.

Roger