CFM vs. SCFM (don't read if the word "compressor" makes you tense)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: CFM vs. SCFM (don't read if the word "compressor" makes you tense)
From: "Hamish Hubbard (and Ode)" <ode@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 18:55:03 +1200
(I've looked everywhere but can't find the info and it's another
week until the Snap On guy is in my area).

In the Snap On catalogue the air tools have an air consumption
listed in CFM and SCFM. My question is, what does SCFM mean? If
the CFM rating is the one to use, then many of these tools look
to be well within the range of my small compressor, even the
big sanders only require < 8cfm at < 100psi - am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Hamish

--
Mini Cooper Web: http://www.mini.org/minirestoration/CooperWeb.html