59 SII engine RPM questions

To: "lro" <lro@playground.sun.com>, "mendo" <mendo_recce@moab.off-road.com>
Subject: 59 SII engine RPM questions
From: "Clayton Kirkwood" <kirkwood@garlic.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 21:39:54 -0700
After setting my timing (see previous posting and associated problems), I
turned to trying to determine my RPMs in an attempt to set the Rochester
idle mix. I broke down several months ago and picked up a Fluke 88 (one of
the really nice Flukes which comes with an RPM inductive lead). I follow (I
think :>) the instructions on getting an RPM reading: connect inductive lead
around a plug wire, with specific side of pickup toward spark plug, set
meter to RPM, set to type 2 (4cycle, non-DIS) and then start engine (at
normal running temp). I do this and get readings in the 3000 range.

I know enough to know that the engine is not turning over at no 3000 RPM.
The diagram suggest that I should read the correct RPM. I try their various
alternatives (non-resisitor plugs: move pickup back from plug; averaging;
multispark type setting - apparently where the spark goes to both TDC
pistons even though one is finishing exhaust stroke; etc). Nothing seems to
work. No where in the manual where I read that I should divide the reading
by the number of cylinders - doesn't really make sense to, but ...

One thought is that because this is a positive ground system, something must
need to change???

What am I missing here??
TIA,

Clayton Kirkwood