Re: Compressors

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Compressors
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:39:07 -0400
At 11:11 AM 8/21/98 -0400, Duncan120@aol.com wrote:

>It's usually not the volts, it's the cycles.
>In the US we use 60hz, in most of Europe they use 50hz.
>Our 120/60 is not compatable with their 120/50.
>I am not sure what NZ uses. I suspect 50.
>I hope my husband will take me on a fact finding tour
>soon.....................
>
>"Midget" Susan

That's almost right  ..... US and a few others use 117 volts which is
usually closer to 110 or even lower in the summertime with large loads on
the grids.  Most of the rest of the world is using somewhere around 220
volts (Most of Europe, Scandinavia, England, India, Singapore, Australia
and many many other countries) the only exception that I can think of
offhand is Japan which runs on 100 volts in most parts.

We use 60 cycles and most others use 50 cycles.  Most modern equipment will
run equally well on 50 or 60 cycles and many will accept from 90 to 260
volts.   HOWEVER all equipment that contain any form of electromagnetic
devices (a transformer, motor windings, or solenoids etc.) are an
exception.   You have to check as some will work on either 50 or 60 cycles
and others will not.   This is due to the fact that the amount of metal
required in the transformers and motors to work at 50 cycles is more than
required for 60 cycle operation (and manufacturers not wanting to spend
extra money will make it as cheap as possible).   A motor or transformer
designed for 50 cycles will work perfectly well on 60 cycles but not the
other way around unless it is built heftier to handle the 50 cycles)  Many
motors can be wired to work on either 117 or 230 volts.

Regards  Nils
Yardley,  PA
59(100-6)  69XKE  72/73MGB  52MGTD