Re: wheel refinishing

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: wheel refinishing
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:25:39 -0500

From: John Steczkowski

>I just bought a set of alloy wheels for my daily driver. They appear to be
>painted and clearcoated. There are some scratches and some paint chips, and
>one wheel has some scratches in the metal. I'd like to refinish them
myself.
>I'm not sure if I want to repaint them (strip and repaint) or strip them
and
>polish them. If I polish them, I don't think I want to polish to a chrome
>like finish, but I'd like to polish them to a matte finish.
>
>What tools do I need, any hints, any good books on the subject?

Plastic media blasting or bead blasting might get the matte effect that you
want;  I can't think of any polishing procedure that would result in a matte
finish.   You'd probably want to chemically strip them first, sand and
smooth any scratches.  After blasting, they'll need some protective coating.
http://www.aircraft-spruce.com sells brighteners,  stabilizers and coatings
for aluminum.   If all this sounds too much like work,  Krylon
"dull-aluminum" rattle-can paint looks pretty durn good on wheels and,
though short lived, you can touch it up for about $3 a can as needed.
Tony
(I've done both)