Lifts and cranes

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lifts and cranes
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@inline-tech.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:58:00 -0700
 I agree with what everyone has said about storage of the engine cranes.  I
used to use a chain hoist on a beam in the garage and it worked well.  Than
one day I brought home a hoist from a friend of mine and since it moves
around I found it easier to pull engines out of tight spaces.  So I got
one, what a mistake ! yeah its easier to use than the chain hoist but what
a PAIN to store for that rare use.

  On another subject, I have decided to save my money and spend it on the
engine instead so I wont be buying a lift anytime soon.  Does anyone have
any ideas on how to get a car 2 or 3 feet off the ground (engine/body and
all) so that as i work on it, its at a decent height ?  I am doing a full
frame up restore so its going to be several years before I drive it, what I
need is to get up higher than my current jack stands can to make it a
comfortable height for all the body and chassis work.  I was thinking
sawhorses at about 30" in height but that might be too much weight for
them.  This is a small aluminum bodied car that only weighs about 1400
pounds, so its only 350lbs per sawhorse but that seem a bit much, besides
that does not take into account the weight difference between the front and
the rear.  I was thinking of some 2X12 on cinder blocks now I am leaning
toward welding up some  sawhorse to fit on the frame so I can remove the
wheels.  I could not find jack stands that went up that high.

On my last car I had just the body up that high and it was a pleasure to
work on, so I want to do the same for the whole car this time.  Any ideas
(safe ones, i have lots of ideas myself)

        mike