Re: Welders

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Welders
From: ejrussell@sprynet.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:08:53 -0700 (PDT)
The first unit sounds like a 110volt "buzz box". Usually limited heat range and
limited duty cycle but will work for small jobs. Get a welders helmet, goggles
are not sufficient.

The second sounds like a version of a "Solid-Ox" oxygen generator. My dad had
one once but gave up as the oxygen output was variable and expensive.

Either unit can be made to do some work but I think you may find them more
frustrating than useful. The buzz box may be useful for learning *or* for it's
ability to weld from 110V when 220 is not available... I'd return the
oxy/propane unit to Toys R Us (as someone else commented!!).

Eric <ejrussell@sprynet.com>
Bridgewater, MA