Re: Parts washer fluid

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Parts washer fluid
From: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 18:53:06 -0700
Gerald Brazil wrote:

> I've found the best way to solve the problem of good solvent and disposal of
> the waste is to buy a 20 gallon "set-up" from Safety Clean and then "cancel"
> the monthly service after 1 month. When I eventually need a replacement I
> call and order another "setup" and they pickup the old barrel and bring me a
> new one. I believe it costs me a little over $100 about once a year and I
> don't have to worry about how to dispose of the fluid.
>
> GJB

Hi Gerald,

This sounds like the optimal strategy, actually, but yesterday I was
told by the mechanic at the local motorcycle shop that, here in Los
Angeles, anyway, they will no longer be able to distribute anything but
water-based solvents under this arrangement. He said he is going to
discontinue the service because of this changeover.  This will just
about kill the industry here unless everybody moves over to heated
tanks.

I just hope they don't outlaw the sale of solvents like Agitene.  I am
very environmentally-oriented--I really am.  I recycle everything,
compost, drive efficient vehicles, etc., but this outlawing of flat-head
lawn mowers (I am serious), all 2-stroke motors, charcoal starter fluid,
etc., is becoming extreme IMHO.

It seems so ironic that when I am out riding and nearly become
asphyxiated when caught behind a Los Angeles city bus darkening the sky,
belching black soot and fumes, and yet they want to outlaw my little 3
1/2 HP, 20" Tecumseh powered mower (I burn maybe 1 1/2 gallons of gas in
it yearly mowing my city-sized lot). I think some of these laws need to
be re-examined.

Sigh, this line of discussion is out of place in this list--I'll step
down from the pulpit--sorry...

doug