generator install

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: generator install
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:38 -0400 (EDT)

     just completed a generator installation last January, and have
     completely eliminated power outage for my whole neighborhoo.  Well,
     nearly.

     I put in a 8kw natural gas powered unit with a manual cutover switch.
     The automatic switches were just too expensive and I still had to
     start the generator anyway.  The auto standby units in this size are
     around $8,000.  I've got about $3k in mine. I did my own wiring and
     plumbing.  The cutover switch was around $240.00 for a 200 amp unit.
     I can run any circuit in my house except the air conditioning ( after
     a 5 hour outage last week in 95 degree weather, I wish I had a larger
     generator)..

     I would highly recommend nat gas powered. You can just turn on the gas
     valve...start the gen...and walk away.  The old generator was a small
     tank gas unit that kept me up nights filling the tank to keep the heat
     on.

     The newer units seem to be fairly voltage constant but I wouldn't run
     my computer on one.  and as long as the engine rpm stays steady the
     frequency is close to 60hzs.  But your clocks will run a little funky
     most of the time.

     I try to start it at least once a month to charge the batteries and
     run the critters out of it.  Run it under load to dry out the
     generator wiring.

     Hope this helps

     john