Re: Portable Generators

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Portable Generators
From: Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:26:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com wrote:
>      3. If you have a submersible pump for your well, it's likely 240 v,
>      and the smaller generators only have 120. No running water was by far
>      the biggest pain of all. Eventually, you just have to flush those
>      toilets!

This brings up something I discovered during a recent outage...

My well pump is hard-wired into the main panel.  I had assumed that it was
plugged into a wall outlet in the basement (dumb assumption).

My point is this: if you don't have a cut-over switch to feed the generator
into your main panel, you may not be able to power important devices... like
your well pump or furnace/heat pump.

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky         91 Miata - Steve (bionic)            96 A4Q - Rudolf
80 928 - Phantom               97 Miata - Nadia                84 RZ350 - Sting