Re: painting galvanized material

To: <jniolon@uss.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: painting galvanized material
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:18:14 -0500
John asked:

>      I've got a project using galvanised material similar to A/C
>      duct work metal..
>
>      I want to paint it for aesthectics and protection...what is
the proper
>      procedure for cleaning,priming and painting galvanized metal
>
>      This will be used out of doors in both sun and rain
>
>      Your comments please.

Facing a similar project a couple of years ago, I asked in the paint
department of a building supply supermarket and they immediately
whipped out a primer product made especially for the job.  This
eliminates the old practice of etching with a dilute acid, etc.  The
product worked great, stuck a good latex paint to brand-new (washed
with detergent) galvanized metal.  I was surprised to note that a
primary ingredient of the primer was portland cement powder!

Tony