almost level floors

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: almost level floors
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:54:02 EDT

How do you deal with bases for movable equipment which wind
up with the wobbles as you move from place to place on a
concrete slab.  There's just enough variation that something
with four legs doesn't do well.

This is causing grief as I try to fit more "stuff" into a
limited size basement woodworking shop.

I built a caster base for my tablesaw.  It seems to have
enough weight that it causes things to shift enough to take
up the minor floor variations.

I built a router table recently, and there isn't enough weight
in the thing to force any shift.  So it rocks terribly as you
move it from place to place.  (I've considered adding weight
such as bricks in the lower base.  I think this will make it
better, but may not completely solve the problem.)

Retracting the wheels won't really solve the problem -- the
underlying legs will still have the same issue unless I add
adjustable feet -- a bit of a pain for something which may
get moved often.

I know three feet/legs will work, but for smaller items this
winds up with a smaller footprint.  Less likely to wobble,
but more likely to completely turn over!

Is there such a thing as a spring or rubber "foot" which would
be matched to weight of the table/machine which could take up
these minor leveling differences?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Joe Flake