Re: Which HVLP Spray System?

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: Which HVLP Spray System?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 22:04:02 -0400
At 06:45 AM 6/8/98 -0500, Ronald Olds wrote:

>I'm considering buying a HVLP paint spray system to do a lot of the
>painting on my TD restoration. I'm not sure that I'm up to doing the
>actual finish spraying on the body, but would like to do a lot of the
>other work.  Can any one recommend a middle range priced system that
>will still do a good job. I am willing to listen to anyone advice or
>recommendations on what I should do or more importantly what I
>shouldn't do.

Ron,

  You don't mention weither you have a good compressor or not.  If you
don't, IMHO I'd forgo the HVLP system and spent the money on a good
compressor (min 6hp 20gal tank).  Then I'd buy a regular spray gun or
two and the additional air tools.  While I understand that the VHLP
and is supposed to be more economical from the wasted paint stand point,
there are a lot of uses for a compressor during the restoration.

If you have a good compressor and all the other tools you can think of,
and just have $600 or so burning a hole in you pocket, then go for it.
Just keep in mind that painting is about the only thing you'll be able
to do with the HVLP system.

Again, if you have a compressor, do you have a MIG welder?  Again, I'd
spend the money on the MIG welder, and on and on.  Only after I had
all the tools I and think of, would I invest in a HVLP rig.

I purchased a Sears Craftsman 6hp, 30 gal tank, oil lubricated compressor
when I started restoring my '65 Morgan back in '88.  It has been reliable,
and a real work horse.  I have quite a few air tools and can't see working
on a car with out it.  Then when I started restoring my '75 Bricklin and
found that I had to replace sections of the chassis, I bought a Lincon
SP150 MIG welder.  This too has proved to be a worth while investment.
So far I haven't found the need for the HVLP system.  I've painted every
piece of metal on the Morgan, the chassis and many other parts on the
Bricklin, and painted my 89 Plymoth Voyager van, not to mention touch
up work on my 77 Spitfire.

You asked for all input, that's my 2 cents.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V