Re: solvent stoeage

To: Dave Williams <dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us>
Subject: Re: solvent stoeage
From: David Scheidt <david@math.earlham.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:09:01 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 7 May 1998, Dave Williams wrote:

>  Still, they're wooden buildings, and paranoia has made me investigate
> fire suppression systems.  WW Grainger and McMaster-Carr have the spray
> heads for overhead sprinklers.  The main problem is freezing if I'm not
> out there in the winter time.  I've considered heat tape, or just
> pressurizing the water lines with argon from the MIG welder to push
the
> water below the frost line.  Cobbling the whole thing up with plastic
> pipe and sprayers from Grainger would cost about $200, surely a good
> return on investment.  I'm still waiting for round tuits.

Computer machine room fire suppresion systems have mostly become water
based, instead of Halon systems.  As dumping water on live three phase
240VAC equipment tends to be a really bad idea, they are dry pipe systems.
The alarm goes off, and then 60 seconds or so later, water comes out the
heads.  I don't know if the lines are pressurized, or if there is a remote
valve.  Either way, it would solve the freezing problem.

David Scheidt

--------
David_Scheidt@math.earlham.edu

yip yip yip yap yap yak yap yip *BANG*  -- no terrier