calipers, mikes and beyond

To: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: calipers, mikes and beyond
From: Duncan120 <Duncan120@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:26:37 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-14 16:17:20 EDT, ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov writes:

<< While we are on the subject of micrometers what are the
 recommended brands? >>

I consider Starrett the best, wide selection, very high quality, good support
etc.
Also, probably, the most expensive. You really only need to buy them once in
your lifetime - if you don't lend them out!
Fowler, Mitsutoyo (sp), are good. Maybe a step below are Central, Harbor
freight and Enco brands.
THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINIONS -- NOTHING MORE
More importantly is the skill of the person using them, something that is
gained through experiance only.
If I had to do it over again I would pick up a Dial Caliper, 0-1, 2-3 mic and
a dial indicator/stand from Enco and use them at every oportunity to get a
feel as to how to use them. Once you have that feel, buy better quality items
as you need them and replace the old stuff. Keep the old ones in the car for
Hershey or shows where you might pick up something that needs measuring.
To give you an idea as to cost...
A Starrett digital mic set (0-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4) will cost about $600. (you
don't need digital, but it was a gift so...), a dial bore gauge was about
$500, a dial indicator about $120 or so.
Buy them as you need them and the price will not seem as bad.......
Also, there is an auction site on the web called EBay which has about 50
Starrett items listed at any given time. Quality varies of course, but you can
send them back to the factory for recalibration. Never bought any mics through
them but they do have a large tool section.
Not that anyone asked...... but here's what I would have in my tool box for
engine building (small displacment British mostly).   All to .0001.
Mics            0-1,1-2, 2-3, 3-4  ($600)
Ball for measuring bearings to insert in above mics
Dial bore Gauge for Cylinder bores and main bearings ($500)
Small Dial bore gauge for valve guides ($500)
Hight Mic for valve springs ($75)
Inside Mics and snap gauges to replace Dial bore gauges if your last name
isn't Gates  ($300)
Dial Gauges  0-100-0, 0-50-0, 0-100 ($300)
Magnetic stand for above ($100)
Bridge for above  ($40)
V blocks ($40)
extensions... 2", 3", 4", 5", 6" for above dial gauges
Dial calipers
Small hole gauge set
Feeler gauges (short AND long)
3 beam scale ($200)
Burette for CCing 100-0 (works with MGs etc.) not sure about BB chevys etc.
($100)
The largest degree wheel possible for dialing in cams ($100)
The above should allow you to build engines better than 99.99% of people out
there IF YOU HAVE THE SKILL (which comes by DOING)
Cost should be around $3000 if Starrett. Less if others.
Then.....then.... you REALLY could start spending money on totally useless
things
like a Rimac spring checker ($600) (usless in the sense that the amount of
times you would use it would not justify its cost unless you a professional),
Superflow flow bench ($3000) "but dear, EVERYONE has one" , a nice used Dyno,
and of course my favorites - Used Sun Equipment, lawyer to handle
divorce............. nice shopping cart so as not to be embarrassed when
meeting your new friends, the homeless.
It really doesn't end you know.

Ron