Powder coating engine blocks

To: "shop talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Powder coating engine blocks
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 22:57:12 -0500
    Would anyone care to comment on powder coating engine blocks?

    Just when I thought I was ready to start putting the engine together, I
am noticing LOTS of rust through the engine enamel (Auto Zone special) I
sprayed just last fall.  If I'm going to back up and find a better finish,
now is the time to do it.

    I've always presumed that a finish that would best disperse heat would
be desirable, and my very uneducated guess would be that powder coat would
tend to hold heat.  Also, would there be any considerations regarding
running the block up to 400 degrees for 10 or 20 minutes to set the coating?
If the operating temperature is 180 to 220, it would seem that one short
burst up to 400 would not be out of line.  Am I missing something obvious?
I am guessing that I would want to only do the bare block, without the cam
bearings, etc. and carefully mask.  Anything else to consider?

    Does anyone have good or bad experiences?

    TIA

kengano@advant.com
downstate illinois
1959 TR3A TS57756L