Re: Parts Washer Recommendation

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Parts Washer Recommendation
From: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net>
Date: 2 Apr 1998 14:50:32 -0000
drew@pixar.com wrote:
> I am also wondering about types of parts washing fluid to use.

So am I.  I have a little parts-washing can I got from Harbor Freight.
It has a spring-loaded screen-pan and a tight fitting lid.  Currently
it's got paint thinner in it, but it doesn't seem that effective.  I'm
using a toothbrush and a cut-off (to stiffen) paintbrush.  Perhaps I'm
expecting too much, but after soaking in the stuff overnight, the brushes
still wont remove everything.  I have to use a razor blade to get off
accumulated goo (mostly hardened oil mixed with dirt and/or rust).

Also, I tried pouring the solvent through a coffee filter but the thing
clogged up right away (took hours to finish about 16 floz) and the
filtered thinner still looked black.  Should I throw it out?  What's
safe?
--
        Matt Liggett
        SysAdmin, ToolGuy, Synergy Leverager, Bon Vivant

        <doofus@elise.kiva.net> is a trap.  Write to me at <mml-at-pobox.com>