Re: metal finishes

To: "Gano, Ken" <kengano@advant.com>
Subject: Re: metal finishes
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:42:38 +0000
Ken,

I think that the simple answer is no.  Anodized aluminum is capable of many
different
colors because the process of anodizing aluminum leaves a thin layer of some
kind of oxide
of aluminum (I seem to recall) as the outer layer.  This outer layer is
relatively hard,
relatively impervious to further oxidation/corrosion, and is initially porous.
It is this
last property which allows all of those colors.  The anodized parts are dipped
in dye and
then in boiling water.  The hot water seals the pores (I don't know how),
sealing in the
dye.

Steel is different.  It can be plated with copper, gold, silver, nickel,
chromimum,
cadmium, zinc (and probably lots of other metals as well). Plating at home is
challenging
to impossible (depending on the metal). Steel can also have a surface
conversion process
applied (somewhat like anodizing aluminum).  The processess that can be
performed at home
can impart a dark finish.  Gunsmithing "bluing" is one such process but I am
told that you
should not expect the cold process perfromed at home to have the same results
as factory
performed bluing.

The ease with which the transluscent blue came off suggests that it is more of
a surface
film applied on top of the steel, rather than a true conversion finish.

There is a machinists layout fluid commonly referred to as Dykem Blue.  You
might want to
consider using this. It too will readily wear off though.

-Roger