What's your favorite vise?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: What's your favorite vise?
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 21:53:00 -0500

-> For that matter, my neighbor, who is into blacksmithing, swears by a
-> free standing pole mounted vise. How does it compare to a bench
-> mounted vise, besides offering 360 degree access?

 I have a *heavy* 8-foot workbench made out of 4x4s.  It is currently
storing several complete engines, plus the junk on top.  It probably
weighs close to 1500 pounds loaded.  Still, when trying to bend a chunk
of 1/4" strap iron in the big vise, I can make it dance on the floor
with my 4 pound sledge.

 With a post vise, the attachment to the bench is simply to keep it from
falling over.  The impact from hammering goes directly to the floor.

 Nobody seems to make post vises any more; the only ones I've seen have
been in flea markets.