Re: Compression Ratios

To: Berry Kercheval <berry@kerch.com>
Subject: Re: Compression Ratios
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:48:38 -0500

Berry Kercheval wrote:

> > Bought my first compression guage.  It is calibrated in psi.  How do I
> > determine the compression ratio? Ie. how do I convert  x psi to n:1?
>
> Well, atmospheric pressure is 15 psi (close enough for this calculation) so
> 10:1 compression ratio will give you 150 psi.

Does this mean the gauge should start at 15 psi?

> However, only a perfectly sealing engine will give you 150.  figure at least
> 10% leakage, which would be 135 psi.  If you can get 130 on all cylinders of a
> 10:1 engine you're doing fine.
>
> The calculation of absolute expected pressure like this really isn't useful
> except as a gross check that the gauge is working more or less OK.  It's more
> important that you get repeatable, uniform readings across the cylinders.  If
> your 10:1 engine gives you 115, 120, 120 and 125 that's pretty decent and not
> cause for worry.

I getting close to these numbers for an 9:1 engine, so I'm in good shape.
Thanks.

On a side note, I bought a screw in model with a rubber hose.   The fitting has
stepped 14/18mm thread.  Unfortunely the 14mm thread is only about half an inch
and the thread for the plug starts a half an inch inside the spark plug hole.
The
documentation for the gauge recommends buying a special extender.  Of course,
none
of the stores that sell these types of gauges has any of the extenders for sale.

So I bought a device called a no foul adapter (do these work?) and ground off
enough of the gauge end to be able to thread the stepped adapter.  The no foul
adapter also had the theard starting 1/2" in.  This adds the added volume of the
hose and the volume of the adapter to the volume of the cylinder at full
compression.  Will this affect the reading or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks again,

Peter Thomas