Garage Door Follow-Up

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Garage Door Follow-Up
From: Jeff Guilford <jagcret@knoxnews.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 18:49:21 -0500
Thanks!  Y'all saved me $60 this time, and about a $100 the next time a
garage door spring breaks!!

I decided to try to adjust the torsion springs myself, after considering
the advice here on the list.  Here's what I learned:

1.  You need (only) two 1/2" diameter steel bars, at least 18" long, and
preferably closer to 24."  I know you're strong, but just use long bars.

2.  It makes sense to try adjust the springs when the door is open because
they have a lot less tension in this position, right?  Well, yes, but it
doesn't work.  Trust me--or write me and I'll tell you about it.

3.  The idea of drawing a chalk-line on the spring was a good one.  This
made it very easy to tell how much progress had been achieved.

4.  Don't fret too much about getting the two springs equalized.  These are
not precision instruments, by any means.  And, you'll be tightening them
about as far as you can twist 'em anyway.

5.  Don't tighten down to hard on the set screws.

Actually, it was pretty easy (with long bars, and after I corrected the
results of trying to do it with the door open!).

Twice in the past I've paid to have springs replaced twice, but not any
mnor.  Thanks again!!

Jeff Guilford
Knoxville, TN