FW: Re: Shopsmith and tools in general

To: shop-talk
Subject: FW: Re: Shopsmith and tools in general
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:39:00 -0700 (MST)

[BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["mikey @
inline-tech.com" <mbx0184@west.net>]]

     Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:16:55 -0800 (PST)
     From: "mikey @ inline-tech.com" <mbx0184@west.net>
     Subject: Re: Shopsmith and tools in general

> I'm wondering about Shopsmiths. What do you people think of this
> lots-in-one tool? Or should I find a selection of specific tools?

  The Shopsmith is a good lathe and I must admit that I did use it as
table saw twice ( it took twice to figure out, it was not the user ) and
its ok as drill press in a pinch.   Having said all that, mine is not for
sale, its set up as a lathe and disk sander and does those 2 jobs very
nicely.

  My neighbor swears by his Shopsmiths in all configurations, I swear at
mine in table saw configuration.  I bought it hoping to solve the usual
need too many tools not enough money/space problems.  It was never square
from one operation to another and required constant adjusting.  I bought a
Unisaw and never regreted it.  Guess I am trying to say they are ok, but
they will never do the job as well as a dedicated tool.

        mike