Re: Central Machinery Tire Changer

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Central Machinery Tire Changer
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 22:14:47 -0500
Autoxer18 wrote:

> I recently saw a relatively inexpensive manual tire changer manufactured by
> Central Machinery in the Harbor Freight Tool Catalog.  Has anyone had any
> experience with one of these?  I would be using it mainly for 13 x 6 and 13 x
> 8 three piece Formula Continental wheels.  This brings up another question.
> What is the proper way to disassemble a 3-piece wheel?  Can I do this to
> change tires?  Are there problems with leaks upon reassembly?
>
> Todd Bowman

Disassemble a 3-piece wheel to change tires? - Hmmmmmm - think about it
- you still have to get the tire over the rim - don't fancy that with
the wheel in pieces.

As to dis- and re-assembling the wheels (without tires) - go for it. I
reconditioned 10 vintage Lola magnesium wheels. No sweat. No leaks
either - at least no worse that the collander tires we use. Some wheels
worked fine with the original O ring - others in worse shape I just
bunged up with silicone. Both methods worked just fine.

Derek