Re: Shopsmith and tools in general

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Shopsmith and tools in general
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:08:50 -0600
Ken asked:
> I have done some woodwork but haven't done much metal working. My
car's
> restoration is looking like it will benefit from at least a lathe
and
> I'm wondering about Shopsmiths. What do you people think of this
> lots-in-one tool? Or should I find a selection of specific
tools?Ken Landaiche

The Shopsmith lathe (and everything else) is strictly for woodwork
according to them, don't know what you'd do on your car after you
finished a nifty shift knob!   I have a good ol' Atlas metal lathe, a
little 6" thread-cutting model that I use for a lot of things.  You
can pick up a used one with all the attachments (3 & 4 jaw chucks,
milling attachments, etc. very reasonably if you watch the ads and
shop around.  They are too little for serious machine shop work and
the hobby machinist is almost extinct.

Tony