Re:Throttle spindle bushings

To: "tony@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz" <tony@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz>,
Subject: Re:Throttle spindle bushings
From: Richard MacCormac <r.m.j.m@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 22:01:36 +0000
Thank you all for your help, which was really useful.
The tip for getting the alignment right by putting the spindle in the
body, then in the chuck, then tightening things down, worked a treat.
We refined it, however, to take account of the fact that the original
bushings were worn and might not hold the spindle true. The refinement
was to fit the throttle butterfly whilst everything was chucked up, and
then attempt to close it. If it can be closed completely, then you have
a solution that it going to work. Remove the butterfly, then for the
early SU carb drill to 9.2mm,then ream to 9.5mm, and the replacement
bushes will then press in fine.
The result is as good as new: thanks again!
Richard.
P.S. This list and the people that have written to me have saved me
UK£65, or about $100!