BODY OFF FRAME

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, JOHN_LOFTIN@RAYTHEON.COM
Subject: BODY OFF FRAME
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 06:26 -0400 (EDT)
     >Does anyone on the list have recommendations for removing the body
     >from the frame and supporting it?.  I have a 1966 Pontiac GTO (a VERY
     >heavy car... about 3900 lbs).  Can anyone recommend any reference
     >material on this subject?  Thanks.

     John,

     I currently have a 53 Ford F-100 down doing a frame off restore/build.

     I used a cherry picker to lift the cab off the frame and fabbed a roll
     around "carriage" from two old bread racks with casters and some angle
     iron.

     This gives me some mobility to work on it and I can push it out of the
     way when finished.  Mine is about 2' wide and 4' long and yours would
     probably be square and something line 4-5' on each side I would guess

     I doubt seriously that the body would way more than 1000 or 1200 max
     most of your weight is engine frame and drive train. Two of us can
     lift the truck cab (stripped) with no problem
     you could also use 2x4's and screw one together to do the same...use
     good swivel casters on all four corners.

     Hope this helps

     John Niolon
     jniolon @ uss.com