Re: Varsol

To: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Subject: Re: Varsol
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 08:29:16 -0500
Varsol, while less flammable and with a lower flash point than gasoline, is
still highly dangerous to have out in the open creating highly flammable
fumes!  And when fumes are allowed to build up in a large container like a
parts washer with the lid down to prevent evaporation, I'd see that as both
a bomb, and a preventable accident!  Industrial stores where I shop from
time to time offer specific solvents for this application that are not only
designed with very high flash-points, but also are less toxic, less damaging
to skin, and won't cause your insurance companies to offer to allow you to
pay for the fire damage yourself, rather than chipping in with an insurance
payout!

An explosion occurred in Toronto a few months ago, caused by paint fumes
from old paint cans stored open near a furnace.  If that can blow up a
house, what do you think genuine flammable solvents, designed to burn, will
do in a workshop?

When this thread started, I thought, quite honestly, that some of the
reply's were spoofs.  I mean, pouring old gasoline, ATF, kerosene, etc, all
in a weird stew, into an open tank!  But I decided that at least some of the
replys were serious.  You're not recycling, you're creating a toxic waste
dump that corporations get sued over!  I think a little sober second thought
might be in order for a few people...

Brian Evans