Re: Compression Test

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: Compression Test
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@cast.navnet.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 23:15:14 -0400
Ron,

        I first take a compression test with the ignition disconnected and
throttle open and record the readings and hopefully they are all high and
consistant with each other. Then squirt oil into all the cylinders and do
another test. If any of the readings are substantially high in the second
test, this usually indicates a problem in the rings, cylinders, piston
area. If there is not much difference in the readings then all is O.K.

        If one cylinder is still low after the second test, this usually means a
burnt valve or one that is not seating properly. If two cylinders side by
side both have low readings, this usually means that the head gasket has
blown between the cylinders.

        Others on the list may be able to add more to my comments. Hope this
helps.

Regards,
Bob

At 08:13 PM 12/14/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Is there any specific way to do a compresion test. I have a tester but am
>curious if there are any special tips that I should be aware of before
>using it.  After taking a reading is it advisable to squirt some oil into
>the cylinder to see if there is any changer in the reading? Any advise
>would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ron Olds
>50 TD
>72 TR6

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The Man of Many Sunbeams - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon 1953-1954
Home Page: http://cast.navnet.net/~hamilton/index.html
E-Mail: hamilton@cast.navnet.net