Re: Keeping Batteries Charged

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: Keeping Batteries Charged
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 97 10:41:46 -0500
     Trevor,
     Are these chargers current or voltage sources? I wonder about all the
     talk of over-charging and don't know beans about battery chemistry.
     Regards,
     Jim Wallace
     Ottawa, Canada
     jwallace@canada.hp.com

Author:  Non-HP-tboicey (tboicey@brit.ca) at HP-USA,mimegw5
Date:    03/12/97 8:31 PM

Lin, Gary wrote:

> I had a thought along those lines, this is just a hypothesis.
>
> How about getting an automatic shutoff trickle charger and hooking up
> all the 12v ones in parallel?  Pair up the 6v ones in series like Keith
> said and then parallel that set with the rest.  Just make sure you don't
> exceed the capacity of the charger on initial startup.

  You probably want battery isolaters (big diodes) between
each battery.

  Otherwise you get problems if one battery has a higher voltage
than another and starts back-charging, especially when the automatic
shutoff trickle charger shuts off.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada