Re: diesel fuel storage

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@umdnj.edu>
Subject: Re: diesel fuel storage
From: Tom <t..krause@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 13:21:48 -0600

William Zehring wrote:

> I have a question concerning the use and storage of diesel fuel.   I am
> asking this question for the benefit of my older brother, and his diesel
> tractor so I appologize in advance for a lack of direct cool-car content
> but I thought this would be a good source of info.  In the back of my mind
> I've got the idea that diesel fuel doesn't maintain low viscosity as
> temperatures drop (unlike gasoline).  Is this true?  Does it indeed
> 'thicken' into a slower flowing liquid as it gets really cold (i.e. below
> 32F or so)?  It is my understanding that this is true of kerosene, which
> can achieve a jelly-like consistency as the temps fall really low.   Any
> expereince in the storage of diesel fuel for farm implements, and for use
> during cold winter months??
>
> Many thanks,
> Will Zehring

  Hello,
 Diesel fuel does indeed get "gooey"at lower temps,not usually a problem unless
the temps drop to the 0 to +15F zone.
 Couple of things you can do here,depending on how much use the tractor will
see,
and what the fuel storage arrangements are.
 Diesel fuel basically comes in two grades:
#2--the "standard" fuel used in most applications,tractors ,trucks etc.
#1--furnace oil,similar to kerosene,not quite as refined,will stay fluid to a
much lower temp than
#2,however you will see a slight power reduction.
 Then there is the "winter blend"basically a mix of #1 and #2,percentages vary
according to local conditions.

 Now,what to do?
If the tractor sees alot of use,using alot of fuel over the season,and right
away in the spring,the
best route would probably be to get a supply of straight #1 or some
winter blend from the local distributer.
 The other option and probably the best if the tractor will only be used
occasionally
is some diesel additive,this stuff comes under many names,usually available
from fuel distributors
and farm and home type places,also the local truck stop,comes in
various sizes,normally a quart will treat 100gal.This stuff usually works
quite well,add it to the fuel and it keeps it fluid,even works if you get
caught and the fuel
gels,will thin out allready gelled stuff.
 Storage is not alot different than gas,just keep it clean and the water out.
Hope this helps
Tom