Re: Power Washers

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, tr6@pipeline.com
Subject: Re: Power Washers
From: johnm@ims.com (John Miller)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:20:41 -0800
Ron Olds writes:
> I considering getting a small portable power washer for around the house. I
> want to use to it clean decks, driveways, bricks, siding and the occasional
> car (either whole or in pieces). Can anyone give me any suggestions for
> brands and models to look for or to stay away from. Any personal
> experiences you can relate would be appreciated.

I bought a Karcher from Costco about 8 years ago.  I've used it almost
weekly ever since. Loaned it out to friends for a variety of tasks too.
It has never failed me.

I use the fan attachmment most.  There is another attachment that will
shoot out short blasts in a rotary fashion that is supposedly for cleaning
sidewalks and such.  Some swear by this attachment, and it does put out
a mean blast of water (hurts when it hits you since it doesn't fan the
water out).  Also I sometimes use the chemical pickup for applying soap
when cleaning. Mine also came with a car cleaning attachment (soft brush)
that I used a lot before I got more picky about cleaning the cars.

This is one of those tools (like an air compressor) that once you have it
you wonder how you ever lived without it.  Mine puts out about 1100-1200 psi.
My only regret now is - as Tim the Toolman would say "More Power".
Some jobs would go a lot faster with greater pressure and more gallons
per minute.

John Miller