Re: Air Hammer

To: Scott Beckman <s-beckman@ti.com>
Subject: Re: Air Hammer
From: Steve Hammatt <shammatt@sos.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:11:06 -0800
Scott Beckman wrote:

> I've got a 8x10 concrete slab that I need to break up.  It has no rebar and
> it's about 2 inches thick.  I was thinking about buying a Air Hammer.  They
> seem pretty inexpensive plus they usually come with various chisels.  Knowing
> full well this could come in handy for exhaust systems and front-end work, I
>am
> ready to buy it but will it bust up the concrete?
>
> On one hand, I don't want to overwork the air hammer.  However, I was able to
> break off small chunks with a regular hammer and chisel.  But it was a pain in
> the neck.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Scott
Scott
I recently broke up a similar slab and had a great time!
I borrowed a friends ELECTRIC jack-hammer.  I'm sure you can rent
one and you'll have it done an a morning.  Just be sure to take small
bites (around 4" square).  Believe me, it's worth the aching back and
shoulder muscles to rent the unit and let it do the work.
Steve