Re: PVC air piping

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: PVC air piping
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 10:37:00 -0500
-> As I understand it, the problem is not the pressure.  But the fact
-> that the pressure is cyclic.  This is what fatigues the PVC.  Burst
-> pressure is a different issue.

 I'm running a 100 feet of 1" PVC in the shop.  The compressor is in a
separate shed.  I have a tee on the air outlet over the lathe with a
large 150psi guage visible in most of the shop.  The pressure slowly
drops to 90psi, the compressor comes on, it slowly climbs back up to 120
psi.  Compare that to the same pipe carrying water, which can easily
spike from 50 to 100+ when shutting off a faucet.