Plasma Welder

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Plasma Welder
From: george procyshyn <geopro@cyberdrive.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 00:13:29 -0400
I told a friend who is a surplus dealer to look out for a MIG welder for
me, he said he would, but suggested I consider a Plasma Welder he has in
stock. I'm familiar with Plasma CUTTERS but not Plasma Welders. I'll list
the features and ask the list  if this thing is really as great as it sounds.

Swiss made w/ product support by some company in Tenn. (He was'nt sure of
the   brand or company name off hand.

About $10k new  (size about 2' X 2' X 30")

Uses 220v and an inert gas, he thought Argon

Microprocessor controled (Ramps up & down to control heat)

Has a water circulator ie. radiator etc. for cooling (internal) the arc is
supposed to be in the head.

He claims it is MUCH better than MIG or TIG for sheet metal panels.
Virtually no warping as sheet metal panels can be welded at power setting
as low as one amp.

He claims it will produce FULL penetration welds in 3" stainless steel,
with a weld bead on the top and bottom and no virtually no distortion.. And
it can be adjusted down to weld the tungsten filliments in light bulbs, and
that G.E. does in fact use these units to do just that.

All this can be mine for very close to $1000. with manuals and only apx.
100 hours claimed prior use.

There must be one of you out there with knowledge of this wonder? tool.
Please help me not make a big mistake.

Thanks
George Procyshyn