Re: FW: axle flange removal

To: mjb@Autox.Team.Net, shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: FW: axle flange removal
From: BMcgu22954@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:58:12 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-11 02:20:56 EDT, mjb@autox.team.net (Mark J
Bradakis) writes:

> CHEERS EVERYONE!
>  I'm interested in any ideas about getting the!@#$ axel flange 0ff a
tapered
>  axel shaft. I'm aware of the GIANT puller-POUND THE  WHATEVER OUT OF IT-
use
>  Silcroil - approaches but have bent flanges and drums using these. any
> better
Yes, they can be quite pesky.
When pulling tapered hubs off Jaguars & Tigers, I've tried to use a suitable
puller, reverse the axle nut, but leave it flush with the end of the axle.
Preload the puller, then apply heat from an oxy-acetylene torch to maybe 250+
deg. F, but don't turn it red. When it is hot, whack the end of the threaded
rod a few times. If that doesn't work, apply more preload, heat again and do
it all over.
It's important that you put the nut on the axle. I've had a Jaguar rear hub
with brake rotor & puller attached fly past my shins & land on the ground.

Bruce McGuire