Re: Automotive Cooling (Corrections to my thoughts)

To: JackiHarry@aol.com
Subject: Re: Automotive Cooling (Corrections to my thoughts)
From: "Jack L. Poller" <poller@chromatic.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 10:37:02 -0700
JackiHarry@aol.com wrote:

> Hi!
>
> temperature by letting in short bursts of cool water, instead of the usual
> way of having the cool water pass through the engine before it makes it's way
> to the thermostat to cool it off. (the new way-short bursts of water spaced
> close together; old way, longer bursts of cool water spacer farthur apart).

This shows a complete and total lack of understanding of the operation
of a thermostat.

Rather than explain, I suggest you perform the following experiment:

        Take a pot of water and completely submerge a thermostat.
        Slowly heat the pot of water, with the thermometer in the
        water.

        Record the temperature at which the thermostat *starts*
        to open.  Record the temperature at which the thermostat
        is completely open.

        Turn off the heat, and record the temperature at
        which the thermostat is *fully* closed.

[ conspiracy garbage deleted ]

> throttle where most cars operate.  I suspect that the air/fuel mixture may
> indeed cool the engine significantly at [very?] low throttle openings, but I
> believe that this is no or little different for the new thermostat
> positioning than it is for conventional cooling systems.

You (and Bob) had best get your self into a mechanical physics class.
And
then a thermodynamics class.  And maybe even an introductory chemistry
class.

Another experiment.

        Take an aluminium cylinder head, or better yet, a 1 pound billet
        of aluminium.  Put it in the oven set to 200 degrees F.  Let it
        sit for an hour (to heat soak it).

        Using a thermometer, measure the surface temperature.

        Then pour exactly 1 gallon of water over a small portion of the
        head.  Say drip the gallon on one corner, emptying the gallon over
        a period of 1 minute.

        Measure the temperature of the corner of the head as compared
        to the rest of the head

        On the opposite side of the head, use a small fan, and a water
        spritzer to attempt to cool the head in a manner simmilar to
        what you think the fuel/air mixture is doing.

        After 1 minute, measure the temps.

This is part of an empirical experiment that can demonstrate the
amount of energy (heat) transfer certain objects posses.

> I would like to thank Bob Hutton (BobHutton@fox.vut.edu.au) for posting this
> material.  Scott M Ryan

Now, in the future, it would be appreciated if the traffic on
this list stick to the appropriate subject: Shops - as in workshops.

The place to discuss matters such as that which you broach is in
alt.conspiracy and alt.duralube.is.good.good.good.

Jack
poller

I speak for myself and not my employers or providers
of net service.