Re: Shop tool protection

To: walter@omni.sps.mot.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Shop tool protection
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:48:58 -0400 (EDT)

<<
 >Anyone have advice about how to protect a drill press from rust?  Should I
 >WD-40 it occasionally?  Some sort of light oil?

 Kevin,

 Uh, this really will vary depending on the climate where you live.
 A light spray of WD-40 every couple of weeks should be fine.

<snip>
 For longer term storage, I like using the LPS #3 Heavy Duty Rust Inhibitor
 - leaves a waxy oil on metal surfaces, great when I store those spare
 brake rotors or flywheel in my damp shed.  Cleans off pretty easily with
 the parts washer.

 Cheers,

 Tom Walter
 Austin, TX.

Fellow Tool Men...

Ya know that slightly cracked left-handed veebelfetser, that's just too good
to toss out, but you don't dare stick it under the house cause it'll be all
rusty in ten years when you move...
I have found an excellent product for long term storage of valuable steel. I
have used this stuff for years and everyone I tell about it, concurs. The
stuff is called "Rust Guardit" made by Kleen-Bore Inc. of Northampton, Ma. I
find it at my local gun dealers shop. The stuff smells nasty, so you wanna do
this outside if possible. Once on, it sets up quickly into a sticky  mess
that if touched, you'd swear is gonna get all over you, but in reality does
not come off. The stuff seems to stay that way indefinetly (at least years so
far...), but will come off quickly and easily with carb cleaner, or even
alcohol.

This stuff gets the "Nickster's" stamp of approval...
      Nick in Nor Cal