Re: painting questions

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: painting questions
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:50:48 -0400
At 11:15 AM 6/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 PARADOX@DEPAUW.EDU wrote:
>

>> 1)  When the instructions say "thin" coats, what do they mean?  After one
>> thin coat on bare aluminum, should the aluminum still shine through, or
>> is that too thin?
>
>Probably not too thin; it is unusual to cover completely in one coat.
>But no primer???

Your friend might be moving the paint gun too fast.  The faster you move it
the lighter the coat of paint.  So he can slow down his motion a little.

There is a difference between lacquer and enamel.  With lacquer it goes on
looking very wet.  If you put enamel on like that, you WILL have a run!!

>> 2)  He has used the proper amount of the proper reducer, but no hardener
>> mixed into the paint.  What would be (have been) the advantages of doing
>> so?
>
>He could have rubbed out the roughness you describe later, if it was not
>too bad.

As Ray points out, this roughness is that fact that the paint has dried too
fast.  Again slow down the speed with which you are moving the gun,
increase the amount of reducer (normally thinner is called reducer for
enamel and thinner for lacquer) a little or go to a higher temp reducer.

> Of using a top coat of hardener?
>
>I'm not sure you can use hardener in only the top coat.

Yes! you can wait for the top coat to add the hardener.  In fact, with a
"clear coat base coat" paint job, the only hardener is in the top coat.
It is used to help stabalize the outer layer and make it more durable.

Becareful of the hardeners.  They contain polyisocynates (sp).  Injesting
then can and will kill you.  I don't know how much it takes in the way
of contact to the skin, but the exposure is cumulative.  In addition, the
hardener can solidify your lungs.  I know of 1 person that has died this
way.  You are supposed to use a positive pressure, external air supplied
hood when spraying this stuff!

>> laquer thinner is meant for thinning laquer (reasonably enough) and that
>> other paints have other reducers, and you should use them, but if you did
>> use this laquer thinner for thinning them, it would be like a medium
>> speed reducer made for middle range temperatures.  Could he really have
>> saved $15 a gallon by going this route?]

Again, as Ray says "lacquer thinner will lift fresh enamel).  Not
recommended."

Agree hole hartidly (sp).  The only thing you use the lacquer thinner for
when painting with enamel is clean up.  There is a "cleaning grade" lacquer
thinner, I get it for about $25 / 5 gal.  Where as I pay about $19 / gal
for good painting grade lacquer thinner.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire