Re: 25W tubes?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 25W tubes?
From: "Douglas E. Shook" <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 09:37:08 -0400
Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu wrote:

> >[...] each two tube shoplight draws .67 amps at
> >110 volts (if you are using the 40 watt tubes instead of the 25 watt
> >bulbs, which is a waste of electricity and natural resources).
>
> Douglas - Which is the waste, the 40 watt or the 25 watt, and why?
>
> thanks - Lee Daniels
>
>  Lee M. Daniels                 Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
>  daniels@cryogen.com                                      Texas A&M University
>  '74 TR6  '77 MGB                                 http://acs.tamu.edu/~lmd1191

Lee,

Hi, I see you have also have a 74 TR6--great choice.  My rather simple
minded comment about the 40 vs. 25 watt tubes was just in reference to
the 25 watt shop light tubes that GE now is selling.  I know that given
the same design/construction, a higher wattage bulb will provide more
lumens per watt than a lower wattage bulb (e.g., one 100 watt bulb is
brighter than two 50 watt bulbs), but these 25 watt tubes appear as
bright as the standard 40 watt tubes and consume about 60% of the
energy.  It may be simply a matter of light "distribution" in that they
have the same physical size and flood the same general area--I really do
not know here.

All I can say is that I have eight shop lights in my garage, three of
them are fitted with the 25 watt tubes, and I have to look at the labels
to tell which ones are which.  So the fixtures are consuming a little
more than 50 watts each rather than 80+ watts each.  I'll wait, however,
for the the 40 watt tubes to burn out before replacing them with 25 watt
tubes--I'm green, but cheap, too.

thank you,

shook
B50SS advocate