Rusty Welding Tanks

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rusty Welding Tanks
From: George Procyshyn <geopro@cyberdrive.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 22:39:08 GMT
I picked up a set of welding tanks real cheap. Problem is one of them has a
good amount of rust on the bottom six inches or so. (ie. good size flakes
of rust.) My first thought was to just wire brush it real good, tape off
the bottom foot or so and spray it with rustolium or some such.

But as I think about this, questions come up, Is this tank still okay? or
has it's integrity been jeopardized by the rust to a point where it's
unsafe to fill? Will the welding gas guys refuse to fill it?  The walls of
these tanks ARE a couple of feet thick, ... aren't they?
any suggestions?

George Procyshyn