Re: Broken Stud...

To: mdunst@smtplink.coh.org, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Broken Stud...
From: BMcgu22954@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 22:33:08 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-20 20:22:52 EST, mdunst@smtplink.coh.org (Dunst,
Mordecai) writes:

>       1/2" (long) stud broken in block--3/8" proud of the deck.   Any
>       suggestions.
>
>       I've tried penetrating oil-soak, heat, banging to and fro, trying to
>       tighten it just a soach,...what I'm left with is EDM ($$$).
>
>       Unless someone has a trick....
>
>       TIA (not a transient ischemic attack)
>
>       Mordy

If you have to drill it out, try renting a magnetic drill press (mag drill)
McMaster-Carr has some thread inserts better than Helicoils if you just
happen to mess up the threads. If you drill the bolt off center, use a
2-flute end mill of larger dia to put the hole where it should be, and then
enlarge to correct size for insert.

Bruce McGuire