Re: metal brake line replacement

To: htobin@foxboro.com (Herb S. Tobin), htobin@foxboro.com,
Subject: Re: metal brake line replacement
From: Michael Sloane <msloane@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 16:43:23 -0500
Of all the vehicles I have owned since I got my permit in 1958 (and there
have been many, and from all over the world) only 2 gave me problems with
the brake lines: a much abused Fiat 850 purchased and junked in 1963 and
the 1979 Dodge WD150 that I still use for snow plowing. I suspect that the
Dodge's brake lines rot out because the truck isn't used much and sits
outside all the time. Fortunately, they have never burst when I was on the
road. So far, none of my replacements have failed, but the entire OEM set
has now been replaced, front to back. I use the same methods as Herb.

Mike Sloane (msloane@worldnet.att.net)

At 07:44 PM 3/17/97 +0000, Herb S. Tobin wrote:

>I have had some experience replacing, and not replacing, old steel brakeline.
>
>As far as whether old brakeline may be trusted, I have run with some very
>old line without failure. The only failure I have experienced was with a line
>on a 7 or 8 year old Buick, but I think that abrasion rather than corrosion
>was the cause. One car which I use frequently for antique events is a 1935
BMW