Re: torque wrenches

To: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Subject: Re: torque wrenches
From: "Charles B. Andes" <cbandes@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 09:16:01 +0000
Phil Ethier wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Charles B. Andes wrote:
>

> > Any wrench becomes a torque wrench by attaching a fish scale to the end,
> > measuring the length from the bolt and doing inch times ounces. Just
> > keep everything orthogonal, or adjust for the angle.
>
> And we all know how precise and reliable those spring scales are.
>
> Phil

Hello, Phil: Thank you for the reply. I'm sure you didn't mean to flame me. I
appologize
if you were offended by something I wrote. I only intended to be helpful.
Perhaps I was
too brief or simplistic.

Surely you know that torque is the moment about an axis, of the force vector
perpendicular to the axis at a moment arm. And I am just pointing out that any
wrench
can be that moment arm, which is obvious to you. The force can me measured by
any
convenient scale, even a fish spring scal. In face, some mechanics claim to be
able to
judge the force exerted by their hand, arm or finger, knowing the wrench
length, will
exclaim having torques the bolt to 10 inch ounces.

The question of accuracy of a fish scale can always be resolved by attaching a
known
weight from the US Bureau of Standards. Perhaps your fish scale is the source
of those
tall stories of the one that got away.

Of course, the beam style torque wrench is simply another type of cantilever
beam spring
which measures the force on the end of that spring.

In any event, thanks for clearing up my email and sharing it with the universe.
Chuck