RE: STUCK BOLT

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: STUCK BOLT
From: rotto@JUNO.COM (Roy Otto)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 18:19:38 EST
John Writes,
:
: Problem: I can't get the pulley bolt off. The manual prescribes a tool
: be inserted into the pulley (my read is that its function is to keep
engine
: from turning as pressure is applied to unscrew the bolt. I improvised a
: stop using a quarter inch punch inserted into a hole in the pulley, and
: supported on a jack. I have applied torque including !standing! on the
end
: of a 14" half inch drive I weigh >250 lbs)

One way I have loosened frozen bolts is if you have room for a box end
wrench and an assistant is have one person put maximum pressure trying to
loosen the bolt and have the assistant strike the bolt with a hammer and
if necessary a large punch. Sometimes this will jar it loose. Of course
wrench pressure and hammer strike should be appropriate for the size of
bolt you are working with.

roy