Re: Stuck Bolt (1987 Celica)

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Stuck Bolt (1987 Celica)
From: "Simon Young & Heidi Millton-Young" <Mothra@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:45:04 +1100

----------
:
John Writes,
:
: Problem: I can't get the pulley bolt off. The manual prescribes a tool to
: be inserted into the pulley (my read is that its function is to keep engine
: from turning as pressure is applied to unscrew the bolt. I improvised a
: stop using a quarter inch punch inserted into a hole in the pulley, and
: supported on a jack. I have applied torque including !standing! on the end
: of a 14" half inch drive I weigh >250 lbs). I have used (not necessarily in
: this order) liquid wrench, have heated (with a propane torch), and have
: used an airgun to try and loosen the #$!*&## bolt, and nothing has worked.
: During this process, I also checked with the Toyota people to verify that
: the bolt was right-hand threaded (they said it was).
:
:
A remedy used on Mini's when one becomes desperate is to support the breaker
bar on something solid and kick the starter quickly, providing all things
rotate in the appropriate direction.  A very dangerous procedure but it has
been known to work.  I am inclined to agree with Henry though, more leverage,
your 250# of leverage will be doubled with another foot of pipe.

        Simon