I-beam trolley

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: I-beam trolley
From: mbarre@JUNO.COM (Matt Barre)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 06:18:21 PST
TR4guyinVA wrote:
> I'd love to rig some sort of hoist on a rolling trolley to lift engines
and
> stuff like that.
> Does anyone know of a place to look for such things
> or reasons not to do such a fool-hardy thing.?

A guy in our club has a set up like that and it is very nice.  He just
added the I beam to the ceiling of his garage so it isn't structural.
My undergraduate degree is in civil engineering but unfortunately I
haven't used it in real life.  Your beam is likely over designed enough
to accommodate lbc motors and such but I wouldn't pull any Peterbuilts
without having a real engineer look at it.  I doubt it would bring the
house down but could result in some nail pops etc.
Good luck,
mrb