Re: Appropriate air tool for wire brushing

To: "Jack L. Poller" <poller@chromatic.com>,
Subject: Re: Appropriate air tool for wire brushing
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 22:02:22 -0500
At 08:02 AM 1/7/97 -0800, Jack L. Poller wrote:
>Peter Schauss x 2014 wrote:
>>
>> In the process of replacing the sills on my MGB, I have been using
>> a wire brush with a 1/4 shaft attached to my die grinder to remove
>> rust, old undercoating and paint prior to welding.  For safety and
>> efficiency reasons I would prefer to use a brush designed for high
>> speed use, like the ones with the wire strands twisted together
>>  like rope.  What kind of air tool should I use drive one of these?
>
>At 08:02 AM 1/7/97 -0800, Jack L. Poller wrote:
> A Makita 4 inch A/C powered Grinder.  These are much more powerful,
> easier to control, don't have to wait for pressure to build up,
> etc.  I picked mine up for about $60, the same price as a good
> air tool.  I use it for grinding and wire-brushing.  I've
> got both disc and cup versions of wire brushs, and found both
> to be extremely good.  Removes rust, even in pitted spots,
> paint, etc, etc, etc.
>
>jlp

I also have a Makita 4" electric grinder.  Don't get me wrong, it
works great infact this is my 3rd one.  However, I'm not crazy about
the electric tools.  While Jack is right about waiting for the
pressure to build up, the inertia that the electric motor creates
if quite a bit, and when it grabs, you'd better be hanging on
real tight.

If you use either the electric or air driven grinders, be sure to
wear a face shield or goggles and some heavy leather gloves.  My
dad and I have both got some nice scars where the Makita got away
from us and just brushed our hands.  Now every year for Xmas we
both get 2 pairs of leather work gloves.  You ought to see the
gloves after a year, but boy they have sure done their job and
saved a lot of our skin.

My dad also uses an industrial grade electric equilivalant of the
die grinder.  Again I don't like it because of the inerta and
the way it jumps when it binds or catches on something.

I much prefer an air tool.  They cost about the same as the electric
tools, but don't weigh as much.  When they bind or catch on something
they stall and stop instead of flying off in some direction.

I use a angle die grinder for my smaller wire wheels.  I'd like to
get a 4" air grinder but they run about $70 and I have too many
other places to spend that money.  So in the meantime, I use
either my air driven die grinder or my Makita 4" electric grinder
and hang on.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!