Re: Extra tank for compressor (semi-lomg)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Extra tank for compressor (semi-lomg)
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:16:53 -0500
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com (Joe Flake) wrote:

<snip>
>It's a small 1 HP unit mounted on a 2.5 gal "hotdog" type of
>tank.  It claims 2.7 cfm at 90 psi.  It definately meets the
>"portable" description!  It was only $129 (at Sams).

<snip>

>I have one of the portable
>tanks (which with gas station air has served as my
>"compressor" for many years) which would be a nice addition.
>Trouble is, I can't quite figure the best way to hook them >together.

>I want to use quick connects so the tank can be quickly grabbed
>to take for portable needs.

I would recommend what I have for the multiple Aux tanks I have-use a one-way
valve on the male fitting.

The 100# propane tank that my grandfather refitted for air use (has a guard
on the top with the female fitting, pressure guage, overpressure bleeding
valve, a male fitting on the side with a one way valve similar to the valve
on my 2hp compressor, and a valve on the bottom to bleed off water) has a
fitting welded to the side that a one-way valve screws into, and the male
fitting screws to the valve-it sticks out about 3 inches or so.  also makes a
great extra handle to help carry the tank (it's 4.5 feet tall)

One of the other tanks I have (That I built) has the valve on top near the
air outlet, and I used a valve that I think is some kind of valve for water
(The sealing material is rubber, unlike the valve in the larger tank that is
plastic)-the rubber one has always sealed better. (The plastic valve has worn
slight grooves into it, and it sometimes slowly (over several hours or days)
leaks out the air in the tank, have never had problems with the rubber valve
(it's in a brass fitting).  To be fair, I have had the rubber valve one about
8 years, and the plastic valve tank about 15 years-and I use the larger
plastic valve tank all the time, and the smaller tank only occasionally))

The idea of using a cutoff valve with a short hose should work too, but I
would not have any hose on the tank itself-I have several short pieces of
hose I use for connecting the aux tanks together.

Good luck!  Scott M Ryan