Re: MIG welding galvanized steel

To: mwjordan@JUNO.COM
Subject: Re: MIG welding galvanized steel
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 08:17:04 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 24 Dec 1996 mwjordan@JUNO.COM wrote:

> I could use some help.
>
> On a current project, I need to weld 3/16 inch galvanized metal disks
> inside a 1/4 inch wall steel pipe.  I seem to recall a thread several
> months/weeks ago about removing the galvanized coating from iron or steel
> but did not retain.
>
> My questions are, can the galvanized steel disks be welded to the steel
> pipe without removing the galvanized coating, and if not, how does one go
> about removing the galvanized coating.

I'm not aware of any way to do it without first removing the
galvanizing.  At least I know that MIG welding won't work.  If you try
gas welding it, the heat will cause the coating to come off.  Remove the
coating by grinding it off; it usually isn't thick.  Do your welding in a
well ventilated area.  Coating near the weld will burn off, producing
toxic zinc fumes.  How toxic?  A whiff or two won't produce permanent
damage, but you would not want to breath a lot of it.

WRG

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910