Re: revisiting the Flanger thread

To: deboer@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: revisiting the Flanger thread
From: andertonm@JUNO.COM (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 21:00:03 EST
On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 22:30:04 -0800 Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
writes:
>This is a dead horse, but here goes. I just recently joined the list
>so
>wasn't here while this was going around. In reading back I didn't see
>anywhere that anyone was aware of the drawback of using the flanging
>method of attaching patch panels. Sure it's easier, but you are
>creating
>a water/mud/salt trap which will undo all your work in half the time!
>At
>the very least, flange in such a way the pocket faces DOWN. Of course
>if
>you like doing this sort of thing.....Doing this professionally, I
>only
>did butt welds for my customers. Much neater, lasted longer, less
>filling.       Jarl de Boer

I assume you are the same Jarl de Boer whose cars I have seen in
Automobile Quarterly.  I'm honored to be here with you.  Some restorers
I have talked to say you don't have to put a continuous bead on a butt
weld, rather, you can just put spot welds a half inch or so apart and
cover with filler.  Less chance for warpage, etc.  Is this acceptable in
your book?

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (daily driver)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)